Saturday 1 October 2016

Alcohol Inks and Yupo

Morning everyone!

What are you all up to?   I'm having an arty day today; 
the Art Society is having a workshop 
and I will be there! 
We've to bring either watercolour paints and paper 
or acrylics and canvas.  
I shall take the one I know can be painted over if 
and when all goes awry!!


 I'll leave you with 

Jane Castle

who will walk you through her Artful Blooms

Yupo is a new medium for me but I have to say I’m very impressed with how it works with alcohol inks compared to glossy card stock 

I began by dropping small blobs of lettuce and cool peri alcohol ink onto my piece of Yupo.
I was amazed at how much the ink moved on the Yupo and also how much the colours revealed other pigments.


Then I gradually added other colours, stream, stone washed, citrus and cranberry. Once this was dry I added tiny dots of the pearl fixative.  Wow, this really made a huge difference.



Next I tried the conventional way of applying the alcohol inks with the felt and blending tool dragging this across the Yupo in a curved movement. Here I used stone washed, lettuce and cranberry. Once dry I added a couple of drops of blending solution to the felt and lightly dabbed this all over.


Now I have 2 completely different pieces of inked Yupo, 
time to make something with them both.

For the one with the circles and the pearl mixative I felt it would lend itself to something flowery so I inked the edges of a card blank with DI in antique linen, tumbled glass and brushed corduroy.Then stamped the main Lavinia images in versa fine black onyx. Using the small stem of circular flowers from Eclectica EDY12 this was stamped in festive berries and gathered twigs. The top part was stencilled with an Imagination crafts stencil and in the top lefthand corner Artful Blooms was stamped from Eclectica ELB03.


I chose 3 different coloured circles to stamp my Lavinia flower onto using Archival Black ink as I tried a little of the versa fine in the corner of the Yupo and after 20mins it hadn’t dried!



These were then cut out and stuck onto the card with Pinflair glue. A few dots of Glossy Accents were added to a few of the small stems of flowers.



Having watched various videos on how to use Yupo several recommended it for die cutting —— so I gave it a go in the vagabond.


For the larger tag I lightly sanded the edges of the co-ordinations one stamped the image from Lynne Perrelli LPC030, then distress the edges.
Then stamped the pen from the same stamp set onto the Yupo tag and ‘Hello’ from Eclectica ECL01.


This tag set will be used on a card when I’m pushed for time.

I was so pleased I’d tried this synthetic paper as I feel it’s more versatile than the glossy card stock. I found it easier to stamp onto as there is slightly more tooth to the surface of the Yupo, whereas the glossy card sometimes can be slippery. The alcohol inks stay liquid for slightly longer and if you are not happy with what you have produced its easy to wipe it off with some kitchen roll and the blending solution, or just add some more over the top.

List of items used

Ink pads 

Thank you very much Jane for your lovely project
Now, where's my Yupo paper......................?

See you tomorrow everyone for the next Alpha/Dictionary Challenge!

Mickie xx

7 comments:

  1. I need some Yupo! Lovely effect and the finished items look gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. forgot to say Mickie, you can always re-use watercolour paper, first on the back of a previous painting or by painting over with opaque gouache or acrylics. Failing that, cut it up and use as background in card making.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't invested in alcohol inks, unbelievably, but now might be the time to do so. I'm feeling inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Claire, there are six gorgeous new colours you could start with xx

      Delete
  3. Love this, very interesting effects and experimentation, and the results are fantastic. Thank you Jane!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, very interesting effects and experimentation, and the results are fantastic. Thank you Jane!! xx

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.